Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My Home State Fails Me

While most of my childhood was actually spent in various parts of VA and my entire teenage years spent in NY I still consider myself a Minnesota boy. I will root for any team that is the Minnesota "somethings" and I have a soft spot in my heart for any band from MN. Were Tapes N' Tapes really that good? No, but damnit they were from Minnesota! (that and they gave us Clell Tickle) But man have they really failed us all and they are going to need to give us another Replacements to make up for this year's Senate race.

How was Al Franken the best the DFL could come up with!? In a year where Republicans were dropping like flies it should have been easy for the only state to vote for Walter Mondale to replace their fluke tool of Senator, Norm Coleman. Instead the DFL somehow nominates a comedian who only moved back to MN to run for Senate. No one in Minnesota seemed too thrilled about either of the major party candidates and in true Jesse Ventura fashion a third party candidate throws his hat in. This race was so bad that people were voting instead for the lizard people and really who could blame them? I think Minnesotans hated both of them so much that they attempted to get an exact tie between Franken and Coleman so that they could get a do-over.

Anyways, all this rambling brings me to my main question here, in a race where nearly 3 million votes were cast and a winner is decided by less than 200 with only 40% of the vote, did anyone really win? If "none of the above" was an option (and no Barkley doesn't count because he is crazy too) I think Minnesota would be in the middle of special election pitting Prince against Walte Mondale and I would vote for the Lizard People.

No comments: